Friday, December 21, 2018

silver veins

You reached for me 
with arms like tree branches
silver veins 
hands that dripped with stardust 
and gunpowder
you held me 
carried me like the river we swim 
you came closer than the grass underneath
quiet like the sunset 
bright like the stars
you were suddenly there 
the moon has no need for an entrance or announcement
I breathed you in 
like our cigarettes and coffee
there was music in your eyes 
notes drifted into my ears
your knee bounced like a kick drum 
& rhythm quickened my heartbeat 

i do not sing
there’s not much to sing about 
when every other voice around me 
is louder and much more dramatic
 but somehow you hear my quiet voice
and you hear me singing anyways 
you coax it out of me
words that are bright & heavy 


and i ask you questions 
cause it’s hard for me to know, too
just what you’re thinking
it’s like im looking at me 
& id rather talk about my sisters 
about work and music
and all the places we need to go 
& how we’re gonna make to make it there 
but you sit and stare
until i talk about me

No comments:

Post a Comment