Saturday, November 2, 2019

pain plants what we don’t want to grow

pain plants 
what we don’t want to grow 
i don’t want to water 
what springs up
i don’t want, poison and bitters
shadows and sharp edges 
i want to see the sun 
i want to notice the flowers 
and not give air time
to the negative thoughts 
and the prodding past 
but the past is not years ago 
it’s yesterday 
it’s early this morning
when tears sting my eyes 
when the lump in my throat 
reminds me of you 
when words don’t string together 
i can’t hold a pen 
or a conversation

i know the pricking spines
cover my water stores 
fend off the vultures 
who will feed off of my rot
i know the panic, is release
my body speaks
it cries for attention
i carries my load 

but i don’t want to water, 
what springs up

can i look at pain 
with compassion 
can i look at me 
like i look at you 

can i look at this 
like the desert cactus 
like the crippled cat
like the lady on the corner 
my water is wasted 
on empty sand 
on a dying animal 
my money will be gone
to feed her addiction 
why give water to the birds
flowers to the dead
and pennies to the fountain?

pain plants, what we don’t want to grow 
i don’t want to water what springs up 

pull out the bitter
air out the anger 
write and talk and sing 
bitter words 
shameful memories 
ugly imagination
emotion feels like wasted energy 
it feels selfish and wrong 
it’s hard to say i did this
hard to admit i chose 
it hurts to say you hurt me 
it’s hard to say i hurt

pain plants, and will grow 
and i will weed or water what springs up 

No comments:

Post a Comment