Wednesday, July 4, 2018

comforter

i sit on the curb 
like so
many times before 
i breathe it in deep
and my throat is a bit choked 
and i clench my teeth
to prevent the tears

What if, 
there’s a comforter 
could I come to him now? 
What if he is, near 
like the dirt 
close, like the grass
itchy on my skin 
what if she is quiet 
like the wind 
steady like the trees 
warm like the pavement 
under my feet 
with eyes that fill with tears 
and not anger. 

i’m not sure what I look for,
because I’ve seen a lot 
and so many beautiful people
it’s not like they aren’t enough
i don’t know what i expect
because i’ve heard it all before 
in screams and yells 
in songs and sermons 
in tearful whispers 
and laughing, lighthearted words 
what if 
there’s a comforter 
who knew just what to say 
or not say 
what if 
they are here 
around, and within 
what if they are with me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment